Bridgerton actress Arséma Adeoluwayemi Hamera has called on Tom Holland to speak out in support of his Romeo and Juliet co-star Francesca Amewudah-Rivers.
Bad Education’s Francesca was announced last month as the actress set to play Juliet opposite the Spiderman star in the upcoming West End production – which kicks off on May 11 at The Duke of York’s Theatre.
But social media was later flooded with a ‘barrage of deplorable racial abuse’ over the diverse casting.
Taking to Instagram on Sunday, Arséma, who played young Lady Danbury in Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story, shared a plea from HBO actress Selina Jones urging Tom to speak up.
‘You lot need to put pressure pon @tomholland2023’s head top,’ the post read. ‘I need my guy to say something, ANYTHING, about the disgusting racial abuse being thrown at our angel Fran.’


The post urged people to encourage him to act in any way they could, and added: ‘Our power as a people and a community should never be underestimated. Avengers assemble.’
Several other people took to X, formerly Twitter, to voice their frustration at the lack of a statement from Tom.
They wrote: ‘Seriously though, he should’ve said something days ago. We got newcomers like Melissa Barrera, Renee Rapp, Ramy Youssef and Avantika speaking up for Gaza and he can’t step in against blatant racism? Spider-man would never;’
‘It is incredibly embarrassing and indicting that a dark skinned black woman who has nothing to do with your production is urging you to defend your own co-star. an incredibly useless and spineless man;’
‘Like how do you jump on stage and look your co-star in the eye knowing you sat idly by as she endured archaic forms of incessant racism. This is what infuriates me about celebrities not using their power and privilege. absolutely pathetic;’
‘What I do know is that his Black costar is receiving extreme racism & death threats because of her Race. I’m sure that hurts more. And Asking Tom Holland to speak out against the racism his costar is facing from some of his OWN fans is ASKING him to do the BARE MINIMUM.’
However while some fans agreed with the sentiment, they also jumped to the Hollywood actor’s defence citing that he rarely uses social media.
They said: ‘Are people forgetting that tom holland is hardly on social media;’








Several other people took to X, formerly Twitter, to voice their frustration at the lack of a statement from Tom
‘I’d agree in a different case but yall forget that tom holland said years ago that only logs into his social media for work reasons. he’s not on the internet so he definitely doesn’t know;’
‘I do agree with you but Tom has said many times that he’s not active on social media.’
The theatre company responsible for the Shakespeare production released a statement on Friday denouncing the shocking backlash as they vowed to ‘continue to support and protect everyone in our company.’
The Jamie Lloyd Company shared: ‘Following the announcement of our Romeo & Juliet cast, there has been a barrage of deplorable racial abuse online directed towards a member of our company. This must stop.
‘We are working with a remarkable group of artists. We insist that they are free to create work without facing online harassment.
‘We will continue to support and protect everyone in our company at all costs. Any abuse will not be tolerated and will be reported.’
It continued: ‘Bullying and harassment have no place online, in our industry or in our wider communities.
‘Our rehearsal room is full of joy, compassion and kindness. We celebrate the extraordinary talent of our incredible collaborators.



However while some fans agreed with the sentiment, they also jumped to the Hollywood actor’s defence citing that he rarely uses social media

Also in the cast are Freema Agyeman, Michael Balogun, Tomiwa Edun, Mia Jerome , Daniel Quinn-Toye, Ray Sesay, Nima Taleghani, Joshua-Alexander Williams, and Callum Heinrich and Kody Mortimer

A statement from the theatre company on Friday denounced the shocking backlash as they vowed to ‘continue to support and protect everyone in our company.’
‘The Romeo & Juliet community will continue to rehearse with generosity and love, and focus on the creation of our production.’
The theatre company did not directly name who had received abuse.
MailOnline contacted The Jamie Lloyd Company for comment at the time.
The Romeo & Juliet cast was announced last month, with Tom and Bad Education’s Francesca announced in the titular roles.
They are joined by Freema Agyeman (Nurse), Michael Balogun (Friar), Tomiwa Edun (Capulet), Mia Jerome (Montague), Daniel Quinn-Toye (Paris), Ray Sesay (Tybalt), Nima Taleghani (Benvolio), Joshua-Alexander Williams (Mercutio), and Callum Heinrich and Kody Mortimer (Camera Operators).
The 12-week run goes from May 11 until August 3 at The Duke of York’s Theatre.
Tickets for the production sold out two hours after going on sale in February. At this time Tom was the only cast member announced.
Tom Holland quash Zendaya split rumours as he shares BTS clip of he
Director Jamie Lloyd, 43, said of the casting: ‘Tom Holland is one of the greatest, most exciting young actors in the world. It is an honour to welcome him back to the West End.’
Tom made his stage debut as a child when he starred in Billy Elliot The Musical at the Victoria Palace Theatre in London in 2008.
Romeo And Juliet will mark his first West End role as an adult.
The Shakespearean epic is a story that has been staged hundreds of times on the West End and The Crown actor Josh O’Connor and Irish star Jessie Buckley appeared in a version of the play, filmed for TV inside the National Theatre in 2021.
Other actors to have played Romeo on stage include Harry Potter star Alfred Enoch, The Lord Of The Rings actor Sir Ian McKellen, Game Of Thrones‘ Sean Bean and Bodyguard actor Richard Madden.
News
People thought they knew Princess Kate’s story… until they looked closer 💔 Behind the smiles, public appearances, and royal duties, many royal watchers are now reflecting on the difficult moments Catherine has faced over the years. From intense public pressure to deeply personal challenges, some say parts of her journey have been far more emotional than most people ever realized👇
The public narrative surrounding Catherine, the Princess of Wales, has undergone a profound transformation, moving from a decades-long celebration of carefully managed royal perfection to a deeply moving story of human vulnerability, resilience, and survival. Born into an ordinary, supportive…
27 years later… people are still asking the same chilling question💔 The mystery and heartbreak surrounding Princess Diana’s final hours continue to spark intense debate across the world, with old theories, unanswered questions, and resurfaced details drawing fresh attention once again. Some believe everything has already been explained — while others still think certain parts of the story never fully added up 👇
The tragic and untimely departure of Diana, Princess of Wales, remains one of the most polarizing and heavily debated events in modern history, sparking a perpetual conflict between official investigative conclusions and deeply entrenched conspiracy theories. On the fateful…
People are replaying the same royal moment over and over…👀 Social media is buzzing after a tense-looking interaction involving Catherine and Camilla during a high-profile state event sparked a wave of speculation online. Royal watchers are now dissecting body language, reactions, and one brief moment involving Prince William that many believe carried more meaning than expected 👇
The subtle shifts in power and the delicate social dynamics within the British royal family have long been a source of fascination for observers around the world, especially when high-stakes international diplomacy intersects with deep-seated personal rivalries. Behind the grand…
Hold on… who really gets control when the Royal Family changes hands?” 👑 Fresh speculation surrounding Prince William and one of the monarchy’s most valuable private estates is suddenly creating major buzz across royal circles. Insiders claim questions over money, power, and family influence are once again fueling tension behind palace walls — and one reported detail has people asking who may end up feeling pushed aside 👀👇
The internal dynamics of the British royal family have long captured the public imagination, often presenting a complex tapestry of ancient tradition, immense wealth, and deeply personal rivalries. In recent times, a significant shift in the geopolitical and financial landscape…
A SINGLE NUMBER IS LEAVING NETFLIX VIEWERS STUNNED 😳💔 — A 17-year-old girl. A crash at nearly 100 mph. Two teenagers who never made it home. And now people discovering this viral true-crime story are shocked by what happened after the courtroom doors closed: a sentence that could keep the case tied to her life for decades. Viewers say the most unsettling part isn’t the impact itself… it’s realizing the story didn’t end there
What was Mackenzie Shirilla’s sentence as The Crash documentary lands on Netflix Netflix’s latest true crime series, The Crash, examines the shocking case of Mackenzie Shirilla. View 3 Images Mackenzie is currently in prison(Image: Netflix) A new Netflix crime documentary reveals…
NETFLIX JUST ADDED A THRILLER THAT’S MAKING PEOPLE CHECK THEIR BACKSEAT TWICE 😳🚕 — A female taxi driver. One late-night passenger. One decision that turns into a dangerous game nobody saw coming. Viewers say what starts like an ordinary ride slowly spirals into something much darker than expected. People keep saying the most unsettling part isn’t who gets into the car… it’s what happens after the doors lock
‘Beyond brilliant’ thriller dubbed ‘female Taxi Driver’ has jumped up Netflix charts Netflix’s top 10 film chart has welcomed an underrated thriller film from 2007 that fans of Martin Scorsese’s Taxi Driver should definitely give a chance View 4 Images…
End of content
No more pages to load