How, and why, is Robert Downey Jr. returning to Marvel? The actor is finally speaking out about the shock announcement.
On Tuesday’s episode of The Hollywood Reporter’s “Awards Chatter” podcast, Downey shared the story behind him agreeing to return to the Marvel Cinematic Universe as Doctor Doom in the upcoming film “Avengers: Doomsday.”
The “Iron Man” star, 59, explained that after leaving the Marvel franchise, he stayed in touch with Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige and planned to go to Disney CEO Bob Iger with an idea about how he could “be of service” to the company’s theme parks.
But during a meeting Downey and his wife Susan subsequently had with Feige, the Marvel boss floated the idea of bringing Downey back on screen — despite the fact that his character, Iron Man, died in the dramatic conclusion of 2019’s “Avengers: Endgame.”

“He said, ‘It just keeps occurring to me that if you were to come back …'” Downey recalled. “And Susan was like, ‘Wait, wait, come back as what?’ We both realized over time that it was another thing that just disproves any doubt anyone could ever have about that guy, a very sophisticated creative thinker.”
According to Downey, Feige brought up the idea that he could return as Victor Von Doom, the iconic Fantastic Four villain who is traditionally an adversary of Reed Richards. “I looked into this character, and I was like, ‘Wow,'” Downey said. “Later on, he goes, ‘Let’s get Victor Von Doom right. Let’s get that right.'”
The “Oppenheimer” star described this as an effort to “not go backwards” and “continue to beat expectations.”
According to Downey, Feige brought up the idea that he could return as Victor Von Doom, the iconic Fantastic Four villain who is traditionally an adversary of Reed Richards. “I looked into this character, and I was like, ‘Wow,'” Downey said. “Later on, he goes, ‘Let’s get Victor Von Doom right. Let’s get that right.'”
The “Oppenheimer” star described this as an effort to “not go backwards” and “continue to beat expectations.”
But fans were confused given it was not clear whether there will be any connection between Doctor Doom and Downey’s previous Marvel character, Iron Man. Some theorized that Doctor Doom will be depicted as an evil version of Tony Stark from an alternate universe. Others argued that Doctor Doom will simply happen to look like Tony Stark, but there will otherwise be no connection between the two, similar to the way actors like Gemma Chan have played more than one unrelated Marvel character.
While Downey did not confirm which theory is correct on the “Awards Chatter” podcast, his statement about Feige wanting to get Victor Von Doom “right” could suggest he will be playing a comic-accurate version of the character, rather than an evil Tony Stark variant. The Iron Man variant concept was controversial among fans, some of whom were disappointed in the idea that Marvel might not be faithful to the character’s comics history.
Downey’s return represented a pivot for Marvel, which originally planned for Jonathan Majors’ Kang the Conqueror to be the villain of its next “Avengers” film, previously titled “Avengers: The Kang Dynasty.” For Downey, it will be a homecoming after he won an Oscar for best supporting actor for his role in “Oppenheimer” earlier this year.

While it was widely assumed that Downey would eventually return to the MCU, most fans thought he would be back as an alternate universe version of Tony Stark, not a new, villainous character.
Gwyneth Paltrow, who played Tony Stark’s love interest Pepper Potts in the “Iron Man” and “Avengers” films, previously joined in on the confusion about his return. The actress commented on her former co-star’s Instagram last month, “I don’t get it, are you a baddie now?”
News
Michael Jackson HAD ALREADY SOLD HALF A MILLION TICKETS BEFORE HIS SUDDEN DE@TH…: Fans are revisiting the singer’s final rehearsal after spotting one moment where he unexpectedly sat down and stared into the crowd 👀👇
The announcement of Michael Jackson’s This Is It concert residency in two thousand and nine triggered an unprecedented global frenzy, shattering box office records and demonstrating the unmatched drawing power of the King of Pop. Within mere hours of going…
Michael Jackson REHEARSED FOR 6 HOURS A DAY DURING HIS FINAL WEEKS…: But one clip from the stage at the O2 Arena is suddenly going viral again after fans noticed how exhausted he looked near the end 😳👇
THE PRICES OF PERFECTION: HOW AN O2 ARENA REHEARSAL CLIP REVEALS THE EXTREME EXHAUSTION OF MICHAEL JACKSON’S FINAL WEEKS The ambitious vision for Michael Jackson’s grand return to the global stage in two thousand and nine was meant to be…
Michael Jackson’s children were at home when the terrible events unfolded…: Heartbreaking details about the medicine box and the singer’s final moments continue to cause fans pain for years to come 💔👇
THE INNOCENT WITNESSES TO A GLOBAL TRAGEDY: HOW MICHAEL JACKSON’S CHILDREN FACED THE HORRIFIC REALITY OF HIS FINAL MOMENTS The tragic passing of Michael Jackson on June twenty-fifth, two thousand and nine, remains a defining scar on the fabric of…
Michael Jackson’s personal physician made a decision that changed music history forever…: The horrific sequence of events leading to the death of the King of Pop still sparks outrage today 🚨👇
THE FATAL DECISION THAT ALTERED MUSIC HISTORY: THE REALITY BEHIND THE DEATH OF THE KING OF POP AND THE ACTIONS OF HIS PERSONAL PHYSICIAN The sudden passing of Michael Jackson in the summer of two thousand and nine remains one…
💔 The final moments of Princess Diana’s life are once again sending shockwaves through royal circles after deeply personal details from the night of the Paris tragedy resurfaced. A man who was there during her last moments has now revealed heartbreaking memories that many people never knew before — and one detail from Diana’s final words is leaving people emotional all over again 👀👇
EXCLUSIVE: Secrets of Princess Diana’s Final Words Revealed — By Firefighter Who Held Her Hand as Life Ebbed Away After Paris Car Smash A firefighter revealed Diana’s final words as he held her hand after the Paris car crash.MEGA Princess…
🚨 Meghan Markle is back at the center of intense royal speculation after fresh online claims and resurfaced discussions reportedly sparked renewed attention behind palace walls. Royal watchers are now questioning what’s real, what’s rumor, and why old controversies surrounding the Duchess continue to return years later. One detail now being discussed across royal circles is leaving many people asking the same question 👀👇
THE ANATOMY OF A ROYAL RUMOR: Inside the Internet Exploitation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Buckingham Palace’s Real Stance By Media & Royal Correspondent Published: May 2026 In the hyper-connected era of modern media, the British Royal…
End of content
No more pages to load